What is SSL and HTTPS?
SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is a protocol used on the web for:
- Encrypting website data so that data sent from the browser to the server and vice versa is protected.
- Authenticating your website so visitors know you are who you say you are.
- HTTPS just means HTTP with SSL.
Just as “http://” means “this is a website,” seeing “https://” means “this is a website, and it’s using SSL to encrypt data and authenticate the website.
– WP Engine
Why would you want to know this site is SSL?
- We are accepting or transmitting sensitive data such as user details and billing information and need to keep it safe.
- Stripe.com handles our credit card process online.
- We secure checkouts and all things related to credit card information on our site.
- We comply with privacy and security requirements.
- We want users to trust our site.