Fifth Grade Standards, Fifth Grade Reading Standards, Fifth Grade Language Standards, Fifth Grade Skills, Standards Fifth Grade
Fifth Grade Language Standards
Conventions of Standard English
- L.5.1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Explain the function of conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections in general and their function in particular sentences.
- Form and use the perfect (e.g., I had walked; I have walked; I will have walked) verb tenses.
- Use verb tense to convey various times, sequences, states, and conditions.
- Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in verb tense.*
- Use correlative conjunctions (e.g., either/or, neither/nor).
- L.5.2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Use punctuation to separate items in a series.*
- Use a comma to separate an introductory element from the rest of the sentence.
- Use a comma to set off the words yes and no (e.g., Yes, thank you), to set off a tag question from the rest of the sentence (e.g., It’s true, isn’t it?), and to indicate direct address (e.g., Is that you, Steve?).
- Use underlining, quotation marks, or italics to indicate titles of works.
- Spell grade-appropriate words correctly, consulting references as needed.
Knowledge of Language
- L.5.3. Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- Expand, combine, and reduce sentences for meaning, reader/listener interest, and style.
- Compare and contrast the varieties of English (e.g., dialects, registers) used in stories, dramas, or poems.
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
- L.5.4. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- Use context (e.g., cause/effect relationships and comparisons in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., photograph, photosynthesis).
- Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- L.5.5. Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- Interpret figurative language, including similes and metaphors, in context.
- Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
- Use the relationship between particular words (e.g., synonyms, antonyms, homographs) to better understand each of the words.
- L.5.6. Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases, including those that signal contrast, addition, and other logical relationships (e.g., however, although, nevertheless, similarly, moreover, in addition).
Fifth Grade Common Core Workbook Download$59.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook Download$49.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Workbook USB$79.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook USB$69.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Workbook Paperback$199.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook Paperback$99.00 Add to cart
Fifth Grade Common Core Standards PostersFREE Add to cart