Fourth Grade Standards, Fourth Grade Reading Standards, Fourth Grade Language Standards, Fourth Grade Skills, Standards Fourth Grade
Fourth Grade Language Standards
Conventions of Standard English
- L.4.1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Use relative pronouns (who, whose, whom, which, that) and relative adverbs (where, when, why).
- Form and use the progressive (e.g., I was walking; I am walking; I will be walking) verb tenses.
- Use modal auxiliaries (e.g., can, may, must) to convey various conditions.
- Order adjectives within sentences according to conventional patterns (e.g., a small red bag rather than a red small bag).
- Form and use prepositional phrases.
- Produce complete sentences, recognizing and correcting inappropriate fragments and run-ons.
- Correctly use frequently confused words (e.g., to, too, two; there, their).
- L.4.2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Use correct capitalization.
- Use commas and quotation marks to mark direct speech and quotations from a text.
- Use a comma before a coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence.
- Spell grade-appropriate words correctly, consulting references as needed.
Knowledge of Language
- L.4.3. Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- Choose words and phrases to convey ideas precisely.*
- Choose punctuation for effect.*
- Differentiate between contexts that call for formal English (e.g., presenting ideas) and situations where informal discourse is appropriate (e.g., small-group discussion).
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
- L.4.4. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- Use context (e.g., definitions, examples, or restatements in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., telegraph, photograph, autograph).
- Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- L.4.5. Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors (e.g., as pretty as a picture) in context.
- Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
- Demonstrate understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms) and to words with similar but not identical meanings (synonyms).
- L.4.6. Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases, including those that signal precise actions, emotions, or states of being (e.g., quizzed, whined, stammered) and that are basic to a particular topic (e.g., wildlife, conservation, and endangered when discussing animal preservation).
Fourth Grade Common Core Workbook Download$39.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook Download$29.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Workbook USB$59.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook USB$49.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Workbook Paperback$199.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Assessment Workbook Paperback$59.00 Add to cart
Fourth Grade Common Core Standards Posters$3.00 Add to cart